Pickle and Bean Salad With Yogurt and Dill
Total time: 45 minutes Serves: 4
3 egg yolks, at room temperature
1 clove garlic
½ cup grapeseed oil
2 tablespoons chopped radish greens
1 large half-sour dill pickle, thinly sliced, plus 3 tablespoons brine
1 pound green beans, trimmed and halved
½ cup rice wine vinegar
¼ cup granulated sugar
½ cup water
1 tablespoon minced fresh dill
4 small radishes, thinly sliced
⅓ cup plain whole-milk yogurt
½ teaspoon dried dill
1. Make aioli: In a food processor, pulse yolks, garlic and a generous pinch of salt until combined. With motor running, very slowly pour in oil until aioli is thick, creamy and emulsified. Add radish greens and 1 tablespoon pickle brine and pulse to combine. Set aside.
2. Divide green beans into 3 equal portions. Combine a third of beans with rice wine vinegar, sugar and ½ cup water in a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, then immediately remove from heat. Transfer mixture to refrigerator to cool.
3. Bring a medium pot of water to a boil. Blanch half the remaining beans for 2 minutes, then immediately plunge beans into a bowl of ice water to cool. Drain blanched beans and set aside.
4. Place a cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Once pan is hot, add remaining beans. Cook, stirring occasionally, until beans are charred, about 5 minutes. Drain pickled beans and combine with blanched and charred beans in a medium bowl. Toss with remaining brine and fresh dill.
5. To serve, spoon aioli onto a shallow serving platter in an even layer. Cover with bean salad, sliced pickles and radishes. Drizzle with yogurt Sprinkle with ¾ teaspoon kosher salt and dried dill.
—Adapted from Craig Hutchinson of Gristmill, Brooklyn